St Joseph

Roman Catholic Church

Tel: 519-745-9302 • Fax: 519-741-9944 • E-Mail: office@stjosephkitchener.org
Back To Top
Calendar

1930

Most Rev. J.T. McNally, D.D., fifth bishop of Hamilton creates the parish of St. Joseph. Rev. Reuben M. Haller is assigned as pastor and to build the church.

Calendar

Sept 25, 1930

Fr. Haller arrives in Kitchener from Hanover.

Calendar

Sept 29, 1930

Property secured from the School Board for $3000.00.

Calendar

Sept 30, 1930

Seegmillers shovel on property. House vacated by Mrs. George.

Calendar

Oct 9, 1930

Footings poured at 11:00am.

Calendar

Oct 17, 1930

Concrete poured.

Calendar

Oct 26, 1930

Mass started at St. Joseph's school hall. Attendance was 500.

Calendar

Nov 6, 1930

Roof slab poured Nov 6th and Nov 7th.

Calendar

Nov 7, 1930

Men hold meeting at St. Mary's hall.

Calendar

Nov 23, 1930

First recorded baptism.  Kenneth Joseph Karges, son of Fred and Eleanor Karges (nee Dietrich).

Calendar

Christmas, 1930

Church services are held in the church basement.

Calendar

Jan 2, 1931

First recorded death.  Raymond Androza, age 4 months, son of Louis Androza and Josephine Pineau.  Buried in Mount Hope Cemetery, Jan 3, 1931.

Calendar

Feb 16, 1931

First recorded marriage.  John Louis Sauer of Detroit to Mary Magdalene Reinhart of Kitchener.

Calendar

1939

Father Reuben Haller as wartime chaplain.

Calendar

1940

Holy Name Society founded.  Charter president is Harold Fisher.

Calendar

March 31, 1951

St. Joseph's Parish Kitchener Credit Union established with 25 charter members.  Mrs. Velert Miehm, president.  In 1980, membership was 597, with Stan Marshall as president.  The Credit Union was disbanded in 1995.

Calendar

1952

The cornerstone was laid for the upper church.
St. Bernadette's Separate School built.

Calendar

Dec 3, 1952

Convent purchased from Margaret Kannipan for $11,000

Calendar

April 13, 1953

The upper church is completed.  Bishop Joseph Ryan, sixth bishop of Hamilton, dedicates the church and the parishioners move upstairs.
Chronobell MAAS Model #579-A automatic Angelus Chiming System was purchased at a cost of $1,500.

Calendar

July 13, 1953

Rectory property purchased from Lillian Zinken through Donald E. LaFlamme for $7,800.

Calendar

1958

New rectory on Madison Avenue completed.  Former rectory on Courtland Avenue sold.

Calendar

April, 1965

Stone altars installed and consecrated.  The main altar contains relics of St. John Bosco as well as several martyrs whose names have been lost.

Calendar

1968

Rev L.P. Cullton appointed as second pastor and serves St. Joseph's until 1975.

Calendar

1970

Convent house on Madison Avenue sold.  Now known as Madison House, it is used by the social services for children who have been in trouble.  It is a short term facility for both boys and girls between returning home, or going to a longer term facility.

Calendar

1971

New electric organ installed at a cost of $26,000.

Calendar

1975

Rev Harold Smith, a former associate pastor, appointed pastor and serves until his retirement in 1978.

Calendar

1978

Rev. Charles Schefter appointed pastor.  Rev. Manuel Lourenco O.H. appointed to St. Joseph's Church in the fall of 1978 to care for the spiritual welfare of the Portuguese community in the K-W area.

Calendar

1979

Most Rev. Paul F. Reding, seventh bishop of Hamilton, rededicates the renovations to the parish hall and the new side entrance on the school side.  The St. Joseph Parish Advisory Council is formed, with Matthew Pappert as chairman.  Very Rev. Monsignor Reuben M. Haller, first pastor of St. Joseph's parish, dies.

Calendar

Nov 11, 1979

Very Rev. Monsignor Reuben M. Haller first Pastor of St. Joseph's passes away. He is buried in the Priests Plot in Woodland Cemetery, Kitchener (on your left at the main entrance). Inscribed on his plaque:

Very Rev. Monsignor Reuben M. Haller
Ordained 1912
1889 - 1979
O God I Love You

Calendar

Sept 28, 1980

Bishop Reding unveils a plaque of Msgr. Haller.  The plaque is a gift from the parishoners.
Mrs. Irene Rundstedler is elected president of the CWL.
St. Joseph's celebrates it's 50th anniversary.

Calendar

1982

Father Leo Speagle appointed pastor and initiates the sung version of the Lord's Prayer.

Calendar

1986

The interior of the church is renovated.  The statues are painted over, the tabernacle is moved to the side altar, the baptismal font is moved to the side area after the pews are removed, and the presidential chair is moved to the high place.  The sanctuary windows are covered, and the mosaic decorations are added.

Calendar

1987

Sister Theresa Nagle is appointed as pastoral assistant is January by Fr. Speagle.  She serves for three and a half years, especially with the youth, altar servers, the sick and the elderly.

Calendar

June, 1988

Father Don Sanvido is appointed pastor.  He works with the Citizens on Patrol Association to take back the night.

Calendar

1988

Brick work is done on the church.  Much of this work was accomplished by parishioners, as well as painting the church hall.
Our Lady of Fatima Church is established to the Portuguese community with Father Gabriel Catarino appointed as the pastor.
The St. Vincent de Paul Society, Kitchener Waterloo, establishes Marillac House on Madison Avenue South to provide refuge for homeless women.

Calendar

1989

The interior of the church is painted by the parishioners.  Several other maintenance projects were also accomplished by the parishioners saving the parish thousands of dollars.

Calendar

1990

St. Joseph's Parish celebrates it's 60th year.  A photo directory is produced for the celebration.

Calendar

1995

The parish credit union winds down and closes.

Calendar

June, 1995

Father Ken Miskiewicz is appointed pastor.

Calendar

May 13, 1996

The deteriorating brick at the top of the Bell Tower is replaced with stone.  The project took one month to complete by volunteer parishioners.  The project was headed by Albert Lamers and Gerhard Kompter, with the assistance of many volunteers from the church.  Food was provided each day by women volunteers of the parish.  The cost of the project was just under $50,000, saving the parish more than $130,000.

Calendar

September, 1996

A new sound system is installed in the church, at a cost of $8507.04.

Calendar

November, 1996

A new nativity set is purchased at a cost of $927.69.  New Holy Water pots are installed at a cost of $700.85.

Calendar

December, 1996

The rectory furnace is modified to use natural gas.  The church is also modified to gas until new boilers can be installed.  The cost is $2600.

Calendar

Feb 8, 1997

Albert Lamers and Gerhard Kompter are presented with medals of Honour from the Diocese of Hamilton for outstanding service at our annual Parish Appreciation Dinner.

Calendar

Feb 13, 1997

Albert Lamers dies suddenly of a heart attack near Huntsville.

Calendar

May, 1997

The school side entrance is redesigned and replaced by volunteer workers, at a cost of $2500.  Lunch was made by the women for the volunteers.

Calendar

July, 1997

Window security grates are custom made and installed on the windows in the church basement.

Calendar

October, 1997

A new gas furnace is installed in the church at a cost of $55,254.80. Volunteers from the building committee also worked at this time to save the church substantial costs.

Calendar

December, 1997

New windows are installed on the main floor and the upper floor and attic of the rectory, at a cost of $12,349.74

Calendar

February, 1998

The church hall is painted by volunteer workers.  Lunch is provided by the women of the parish.

Calendar

April, 1998

The roof of the church is insulated by volunteer workers from the building committee, at a cost of $4,000.  Women from the church made lunch for the workers.

Calendar

May, 1998

New windows are installed in the church basement, sacristy and Madison side entrance at a cost of $11,866.78.
Chimney on church is lowered and refinished by volunteers from the parish. Women from the church made lunch for the workers.

Calendar

July, 1998

Father Terence Sehl replaces Father Ken Miskiewicz.

Calendar

May 21, 1999

The deteriorating brick on the facade of Church is replaced with stone. The work was finished on May 28th by parish volunteers in 8 days! Two women also helped.  Women volunteers from the parish made lunch for the volunteer workers. Parishioners also donated lots of baking for the workers. The age group of our building committee volunteers is from (1) sixteen year old to over 70 years of age, with the majority being over the age of 60 years. Enough cannot be said about all our volunteers. As St. Joseph was a worker - our parish group of volunteers follow in his footsteps.

Calendar

Spring, 1999

The Ambry is restored in the sanctuary wall and placed into use again for the 3 Holy Oils.  Work was done by volunteer workers from the parish.
The 6 tall and old candlesticks are obtained and placed by the altar.
Stained glass windows are being repaired by Randy Harrigan of Victorian Art Glass.  First bill for the windows comes in December of 1999 for $2461.00 next April 2000 for $615.25 next August 2000 for $642.00.
Statues ( 5 ) are being repainted by 3 parishioners Ed Halter, Gloria Cormier and Denise Simpson and are finished in the fall at a cost of $261.57.

Calendar

June, 1999

The retaining wall is put in place along Madison side and in front of the church by dedicated volunteers of our parish.  Women volunteers from the parish made lunch for the volunteer workers.

Calendar

July 1999

New covering over Rose Window in choir loft at a cost of $1070.00

Calendar

Summer, 1999

Installation of Chair Lift, making the Church and Hall wheelchair accessible.  The total cost of $33804.50 includes chairlift, wiring and inspection. After a few minor problems the chairlift was operational in the fall. A plaque is to be placed In Memory of Father Leo Speagle whose bequest to us covered almost all the cost.
Air conditioning for the Rectory Office and living quarters is installed at a cost of $7982.20
The security and fire monitoring system for both the Church and the Rectory is installed at a cost of $5230.16.

Calendar

October 1999

New shrubs are planted in the flower bed retaining walls in the front and side of the church, and new sod was laid at the front of the church, as summer was very hot and dry. All work was done by parish volunteers. Four shrubs were stolen in the first week and replaced in the spring of 2000.

Calendar

November, 1999

The building committee of parishioners redesigned the sanctuary floor.  They moved the heavy stone altar forward successfully (this was planned sinc 1986).  The Tabernacle was moved back to its position of honour and prominence. A Eucharistic Exposition, Procession, and Benediction was celebrated on the feast of Christ the King. A new altar of fitting proportion and strength to be built in 2000 for the tabernacle.
New lighting is installed in the sanctuary and in the choir loft by parishioner Bert Dietrich.  Total cost for the renovations to the sanctuary - new flooring, moving the Altar, new lighting and a few other odd jobs around the church - was $ 14486.41.  All work was done by volunteers from the parish at a very substantial saving to the church.

Calendar

December, 1999

The hand carved wooden statue of St. Joseph the Worker was obtained from the Sisters of Social Service when they closed their Holy Spirit Retreat House in Hamilton.  The statue was placed by the side altar in front of the church.
Four adoring angels are obtained and placed beside the Tabernacle and on the side shelves in the sanctuary at a cost of $250.

Calendar

March, 2000

The new wooden altar is placed in the center of the Sanctuary for the Tabernacle.  It was designed and built by Wooden Stairs and Railings Ltd at a cost of $1155.60.
New smoke detectors are installed in the church at a cost of $2,693.30.

Calendar

June, 2000

Bricks are replaced on the Madison side extension area by volunteers from the parish at a cost of just under $2000.00.  The bricks were purchased previously. Women again made the lunch for the men.
The balcony off Father's quarters is repaired also by the volunteers.
Outside drains from back of garage to side entrance are dug up and replaced by volunteers, as drains had collapsed in some parts and were badly plugged up where they met the school drains. The Backhoe operator did an excellent job and also helped pitch in to put in the new drain. Once again our volunteers from the church saved the church a substantial amount of money in the month of June.
Some of the Terrazzo Steps at the school side entrance are replaced and others just repaired at a cost of $4761.50 by Twin City Tile Co. Ltd. of Kitchener.

Calendar

September, 2000

The bell controls are finished being repaired by Mr. Herb Altman and put back in the sacristy

Calendar

June 30, 2001

Through to July 29 the Reproduction of the Holy Shroud of Turin Exhibit was on display in the church hall. Hours were Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday 12:00 noon to 8:00 p.m. Friday, Saturday, and Sunday 12:00 noon to 5:00 p.m. Richard and Debbie Wojcik of the Ave Maria Circle and of our parish were responsible for bringing the exhibit to our church.

Calendar

July, 2001

Two new steel doors are installed - the back door of the Rectory and the door in the breezeway between the rectory and the Church. The door frames and back of breezeway are also capped with aluminum siding, at a cost of $2137.86

Calendar

2002

The upstairs church is now 50 years old.
A steel roof with a 50-100 year life expectancy is installed on both the church and the rectory.
A coppersmith reseals the dome after parishioners replace the rotten wood underneath. Wider eaves troughs and down spouts are also installed.

Calendar

2003

Ruth Ann Dietrich retires after serving 12 years in the parish office, and is succeeded by Diane Blanchette.

Calendar

2004

After several backups, the drains in the rectory are cleaned out with a 70 foot snake and then with a high pressure procedure - the city also send a camera through and cleared a blockage.
CREDO of St. Joseph's was started by the young adults of the parish.
An anniversary committee is set up to plan for next year's 75th anniversary.

Calendar

2005

St. Joseph's celebrates it's 75th anniversary.

Calendar

June, 2005

Father Brian Quigley and Father Chris Besigye of the Comboni Missionaries arrive at St. Joseph's.

Calendar

September, 2006

Father Chris returns to Uganda to be closer to his ailing mother.

Calendar

October, 2006

Father Tom Vermiglio, mccj arrives at St. Joseph's parish to replace Father Chris.

Calendar

October, 2007

Father Denis Wilkinson, mccj arrives to assist Father Brian and Father Tom.

Calendar

January, 2011

Father Brian is appointed Mission Office director and treasurer of the Provincial Council of the North American Province, at the Comboni Missionaries head office in Cincinnati, Ohio

Calendar

August, 2011

Father Dennis Conway, mccj joins Father Tom and Father Denis

Calendar

March, 2014

Father Dennis Conway returns to Cincinnati for knee replacement surgery

Calendar

Sept 21, 2014

Father Ruffino Ezama, mccj joins Father Tom and Father Dennis

Calendar

Sept 26, 2014

Father Denis Wilkinson returns to Ireland for his retirement

Calendar

April 6, 2015

Father Ruffino is reassigned to Cincinnati. Father Shane Degblor, mccj joins Father Tom

Calendar

Oct 22, 2015

Father Denis Wilkinson passes away

Calendar

January 23, 2016

Father Denis Conway passes away

Calendar

July, 2016

Father Brian Quigley, mccj returns to St. Joseph's as pastor

Calendar

February, 2017

Fr. Meskel Abib is appointed pastor of the Eritrean community quasi-parish, and begins living at the St. Joseph's rectory